License advocacy

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Feb 18 13:24:27 PST 2004

:So we can just remove the advertising clause from the lisence? I thought
:the only person that could do that was the owner of the code.
:
:--
:Eirik Nygaard

    If the source file only has a UC Regents copyright on it you can
    remove the advertising clause.  If it has other copyrights on it
    then you can't know what the other authors intended and you cannot
    remove the advertising clause.

    Either way, the licensing clause is effectively removed from all UC
    copyright statements by virtue of the missif at the end of
    /usr/src/COPYRIGHT, whether we remove it from the individual source
    files or not.