License advocacy

Dave Cuthbert dacut at neolinear.com
Wed Feb 18 07:48:36 PST 2004

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
>>On [20040217 22:42], Jeremy Messenger (mezz7 at xxxxxxx) wrote:
Since, GPL license can be part of base as long it doesn't connect with the
kernel by default.
I love to stay away from viral licenses where I can.
As usual, asmodai hits the nail on the head with a sledgehammer. :-)

I can't help but agree; the BSD license makes life very easy, especially
since the advertising clause was removed.  Have a client who needs a
spot of code?  Just copy it, toss the copyright into the maintenance
file, and you're done.

At work, we're in the midst of some business transaction whose details
I'm not privy to, but the lawyers are making my life hell in making me
document our usage of all GPL/LGPLed apps and libraries, to ensure that
the code has somehow found its way into our products.  Ugh.

Dave