diff - GNU og BSD ?

Eirik Nygaard eirikn at kerneled.com
Wed Feb 18 04:19:05 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:07:57AM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
> -On [20040217 22:42], Jeremy Messenger (mezz7 at xxxxxxx) wrote:
> >Well, if the GNU diff is faster, has more features and etc than OpenBSD
> >diff then I don't see any good reason with between BSD vs GPL license.
>
> The speed can always be worked upon.  It all has to do with algorithms
> and state machines.  Which is exactly my avenue.
> A lot of the wait was on Henry Spencer's new release of his regexp
> handling stuff.  I'll time this out, after having tried to contact him
> on numerous occasions.  I'll add some of this stuff to the TenDRA
> Project to work on.
>
> Features aren't necessarily a good thing.  Remember the GNU camp
> actually has options for true (--help and --version)!
>
> Same thing for size sorting in ls, just use a | to sort.

All I require of it is that it follows the standards, and that it is not to
bloated.

> >Since, GPL license can be part of base as long it doesn't connect with the
> >kernel by default.
>
> I love to stay away from viral licenses where I can.

I agree with you here, after all we are a BSD. I will make a patchset of
the OpenBSD version this weekend and then I guess it is up to Matt what
to choose.

--
Eirik Nygaard
eirikn at xxxxxxxxxxxx    Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.