New website (inspired by the "Website layout" thread)

Amar Takhar verm at drunkmonk.net
Fri Feb 6 13:37:46 PST 2004

On 2004-02-06 21:19 +0000, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Amar Takhar wrote:
> >Sofar, i've gotten 3 responses saying that XML/XSLT are better.  I'd like
> >to ask
> >a few questions as to why.
>
> 	Amar, I appreciate that you took the effort to do the website
> 	and all, but to put it a little blunt, I made my point pretty
> 	clear in various e-mail posts to the lists that I will be the
> 	one handling the doc and www framework, atleast the initiation
> 	of it; so I don't really understand why you are so "Rushy-Rushy"
> 	about this issue.

I'm not being rushy-rushy, infact I hadn't even caught that email, as I said
this was a product of a conversation during new years, which is 5 weeks ago.  I
have absolutly no idea where you got the idea this was a rush job.

> 	The site is no harm to anyone right now, it works fine, it
> 	works on text-only browsers, and everyone, atleast the DFBSD
> 	developers to say, are content with the current site.
>
> 	Secondly, you did not contact me prehand to making your
> 	prototype, otherwise you would have saved the time of working
> 	on it.  I am pretty sure you knew that I was working on both,
> 	the doc and the www frameworks.

I don't belive in talk, only action, I always do proof-of-concepts and case
studies, talk is fantastic, but most of the time that's all it ends up being.

Proof by example is, in most cases, the best choice.  Rather than starting a
long winded discussion, I showed the product and provided the rational behind
it.

> 	I have dfbsd doc and www frameworks working locally, although
> 	there are still a few issues I need to address, like layout
> 	etc, which will be taken care of in the next two months.

Two months?,  that is no more than a weekend job.

What I did with the site provided was in a few short hours, while watching
repeats of the simpsons and family guy.

If it's going to take two months, you may seriously want to reconsidering
exactly what you're doing for the framework.

I'd love to see what you've got so far, also the studies / research behind it.

Amar.