patch to style(9) man page to reflect current practices

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Wed Feb 18 14:12:27 PST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:57:54 -0800 (PST)
Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> :Recently on FreeBSD's cvs list a compromise was suggested, by juli I
> :think, that declarations in (non-kernel-only) header files should
> look:like:
> :
> :	void	function(int /* fd */, char /* foo */);
> :
> :I think I agree, and if there aren't any objections, I can start
> working:on patches to the headers and to style(9) to work towards
> that.:
> :-Chris
>
>     That's even worse.  Names don't work, underscores might work but a
>     lot of header files use underscores for internal macros already so
>     even those are dangerous.  Comments make a huge mess out of the
>     declarations. That leaves.... no use of identifiers at all.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If only C had Pascal-style {} comments, it'd be much prettier :)

Well, the messiness could be mitigated, perhaps like

	void	function(int, char);	/* fd, foo */

or

	void	function(int,		/* fd */
			 char);		/* foo */

But if you really prefer no identifiers at all, I can start down that
road too.  I'm sure I saw a public header file or three that had them...

-Chris