New website (inspired by the "Website layout" thread)

Amar Takhar verm at drunkmonk.net
Fri Feb 6 11:11:44 PST 2004

On 2004-02-06 09:28 -0500, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> Amar Takhar wrote:
>
> > Over a beer (OK OK, several) with a friend during new years, the topic
> > came up of the current dragonfly.org website.  I found it quite hard to
> > follow, and saw that is very complex without any real gain at all.
> >
> > So, instead of starting a huge thread on converting to SGML, I spent a few
> > hours tonight and did it myself, so that everyone could actually see the
> > results.
>
> Doing is always better than talking, in my opinion.  I'm glad you did this.
>
> Generating static pages is a good idea, though I'd pick XML/XSLT over SGML.
> A site map and search engine is also a good idea.  I know Hiten's got a
> Grand Plan for generating the website, but he's been time-limited.

Why XML/XSLT over SGML.

> What's needed most and done the least is content.  Even if we change the
> site layout and the mechanical process, it's going to be the same data.  A
> reader who doesn't get the answer they want will be the same level of
> frustrated, either way.

Agreed, the content is very lacking, if everyone in the project sat down and
co-ordinated a few days where development would stop, and they wrote even a
little bit for the website, i'm sure this could be taken care of.

> I'd really love to have more collected knowledge on the site.  This isn't a
> goal that can be realized immediately, since we're not at a 1.0 release
> yet.  The two shining stars of FreeBSD are the ports system and the
> Handbook.  There's been plenty planned about progressing past ports, but
> documentation doesn't get done because of the lack of technical allure.

Right, most technical sites have to be a resource for the developers and those
who need help.

FreeBSD's handbook was an excellent solution, it's a one-stop shop for all the
FreeBSD information needed by users.

Is there a plan of having something similar for DragonFly?

Amar.