New website (inspired by the "Website layout" thread)

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Feb 6 06:28:11 PST 2004

Amar Takhar wrote:

> Over a beer (OK OK, several) with a friend during new years, the topic
> came up of the current dragonfly.org website.  I found it quite hard to
> follow, and saw that is very complex without any real gain at all.
>
> So, instead of starting a huge thread on converting to SGML, I spent a few
> hours tonight and did it myself, so that everyone could actually see the
> results.

Doing is always better than talking, in my opinion.  I'm glad you did this.

Generating static pages is a good idea, though I'd pick XML/XSLT over SGML.
A site map and search engine is also a good idea.  I know Hiten's got a
Grand Plan for generating the website, but he's been time-limited.

What's needed most and done the least is content.  Even if we change the
site layout and the mechanical process, it's going to be the same data.  A
reader who doesn't get the answer they want will be the same level of
frustrated, either way.

I'd really love to have more collected knowledge on the site.  This isn't a
goal that can be realized immediately, since we're not at a 1.0 release
yet.  The two shining stars of FreeBSD are the ports system and the
Handbook.  There's been plenty planned about progressing past ports, but
documentation doesn't get done because of the lack of technical allure.