diff - GNU og BSD ?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Feb 18 09:36:36 PST 2004

    I'm not particularly disposed one way or the other in regards to
    utility software.  We basically depend on GNU software for the
    compiler, binutils, the documentation subsystem (groff, etc).

    Compared to all the gnu junk we depend on, I don't know why people
    would be concerned over something as simple-stupid as 'diff'.  I see
    no advantage (or disadvantage) to changing our diff.  I mean, when
    was the last time that anyone cared how long diff took to run?  So
    my focus would be more on compatibility and features and less on
    performance.

    The kernel core is a different story... we have to keep that
    BSD-clean.  But I see no problem using GNU for utilities.