New website (inspired by the "Website layout" thread)

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Feb 6 13:45:53 PST 2004

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:02:48 -0700, Amar Takhar wrote:

> On 2004-02-06 13:49 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> Because, it is clear that SGML is slowly dying in favour of XML. It's
>> today's technology. You can search for XML vs SGML in google.
>
> SGML is not 'dying' as in people will stop using it.

I don't mean 'stop use', but it's dying because XML is growing. In DocBook
5.0, it will be only XML and no more about SGML as it will get more people
to move forward to XML.

> You don't understand with the current system i've written, all you need to do is
> changing the DSSSL style sheets to XSLT style sheets.
>
> People are just seeing the word SGML and freaking out.
>
> If you want xml/xslt, change from DSSSL to XSLT, and that's it,  XML isn't a
> language, HTML is XML.
>
> I don't know how to better explain this.

Are you sure, you know more about XML? XML is a megalanguage. XML/XSL are
a lightweight of SGML/DSSSL. Therefore, XML is based on SGML but with the
familiar feel and look to HTML. I believe, you can find the more info
over at W3C website.

Cheers,
Mezz

--