Kissing the beastie goodbye

Joerg Anslik joerg at anslik.de
Thu Dec 23 08:24:20 PST 2004

Hi,

I just kicked the FreeBSD beastie out of our repository and brought
Fred into it. This incorporates the "Technicolor Fred" patch submitted
by Aaron Malone, which he posted on January 5, 2004 (poah!).

Please note that due to Fred's omnipresence, the file
/boot/beastie.4th is now obsolete and is replaced by /boot/fred.4th,
which is a new single file in the tarball:

http://bettlakenauszuzeln.magic-ceee.com/fred.patch.tar.gz

BE AWARE you also have to make a change to your /boot/loader.conf,
since "beastie_disable" is no longer defined! The new variable to set
is "fred_disable". In other words, simply change

beastie_disable="NO" to "fred_disable="NO" in your /boot/loader.conf.

I also patched the corresponding man page, which now also contains an
entry for "loader_color".

Enjoy

--j