RFC: purging old perl-5.005_03 from base

Eirik Nygaard eirikn at kerneled.com
Mon Aug 2 10:45:21 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:33:29AM -0700, Ade Lovett wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Back over in FreeBSD 4.x-land, I've now developed a complete set of
> patches (modulo one piece of code - src/usr.bin/sockstat) that allows
> for the complete removal of contrib/perl (aka perl-5.005_03) from the
> base system -- ie: buildworld/buildkernel/installworld/installkernel
> works, does the right thing, no perl present in the base.
>
> Obviously, some of the work I've done will need to be recoded for the
> slight differences between FreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD userland, but
> before I go ahead and do this, is there any interest here for doing
> this?

This is already mostly done, hmp has ported sockstat (which should be the last
application that requires perl in our base), so I think we all are almost
holding our breath for him to actually commit it. :) So when his sockstat port
is commit we will probably remove perl as soon as possible, that is at least my
wish. If you find any other tools that needs to be converted from perl please do
so and post your patches here.

--
Eirik Nygaard
eirikn at xxxxxxxxxxxx