vidcontrol(1)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Apr 24 14:46:10 PDT 2004

    Oh my god.  that brings back memories!

    It looks like fine work.  I'll be gone most of today but I will do
    some quick testing and get it in tonight if another committer doesn't
    beat me to it.

:Hi,
:
:for all us users without X I've enhanced vidcontrol(1) a bit. Please
:review the following files:
:
:http://www.yoyodyne.de/vidcontrol.c
:http://www.yoyodyne.de/vidcontrol.1
:
:I haven't done a patch since it would have been longer than the file itself.
:
:Example pictures of some new modes are here:
:
:"Mum, look, I've ported DragonFly to my C64!":
:http://www.yoyodyne.de/LPIC0014.JPG
:
:640x200 with 8x8 font:
:http://www.yoyodyne.de/LPIC0016.JPG
:
:hangman(6) looks really cool at 320x200 and 16px font:
:http://www.yoyodyne.de/LPIC0020.JPG
:Here's the list of things I've changed:
:
:Support for more video modes: accept mode names like MODE_<NUMBER> where
:<NUMBER> is the video mode number from the vidcontrol -i mode output.
:MODE_13 is 320x200, for example...
:
:Change the default geometry of raster modes: calculate rows and columns
:using the font width and height. This results in the row * col geometry
:being as large as possible if no geometry is specified by the user. If
:no font is specified the current font's height is used. The old
:vidcontrol used a default geometry of 80x25 for raster modes.
:
:Remove restrictions on the range of background colors for graphics modes.
:
:Implement a cleaner revert mechanism: in case something goes wrong we
:restore the previous settings and give a message telling what exactly
:went wrong. Unfortunately, there are several parameters that cannot
:(yet) be saved and restored due to restrictions in the syscons driver:
:screen saver timeout, cursor type, mouse character, mouse show/hide
:state, vty switching on/off state, history buffer size and history
:buffer contents are not saved because the syscons driver doesn't provide
:ioctl()s to read those parameters. Font maps are not restored because
:the syscons driver won't let us load a font map without setting it.
:Please tell me what you think. This version should be 1:1 compatible
:with the old vidcontrol (tell if it is not). I know that some of the new
:video modes are not really useful but they are there, so vidcontrol
:should support them.
:As a next project I would like to have a look at syscons(4) and
:implement the following things:
:
:Make set_pixel_mode() support higher resolutions like 1024x768 or
:1280x1024 (bank switching).
:
:Implement the missing ioctl()s so vidcontrol is able to read all
:changeable parameters for its revert() function.
:Greetings,
:Sascha
:
:--