[patch] POSIX advisory mode lock panic fix by Dfly

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Tue Apr 20 10:25:44 PDT 2004

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:24:56PM +0200, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

Hey all,

I've ported my patch for the local kernel panic that I fixed in a patch
for FreeBSD over to DragonflyBSD as well. It's available at
http://sitetronics.com/lockfix.dfly.tar.gz. I'd appreciate feedback for
this .

Beside some typos, this fix provides a very persimistic solution and makes
locking/unlocking impossible in a few cases, were the lock counter doesn't
have to be increased.

I have an optimistic fix for the same problem at
ftp://dragonflybsd.dyndns.org/posix-locks.diff
I hope someone else can review it :)
Thanks for perusing my patch, Joerg. I see how your patch works;
basically, instead of the unconditional lock increment at the beginning,
you're only incrementing it in places where it won't be freed and
keeping the extra lock case in lf_split. Looks doable.

Sorry, for the typos, the patch was applied by hand ;)

I'll merge your stuff with my stuff, take Matt's suggestions into
account, and get another patch back to the list.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell

Joerg

Please note that this is pretty much a literal copy of the patch I made
for FreeBSD. It hasn't been thoroughly reviewed by that crowd, so it's
probably not a bad idea for you guys to do that too .

Let me know if anything needs to change.

Kind regards,

Patch, bug & regard welcome, in that order :)

Devon H. O'Dell
Well it's good to see that the committers _here_ have time to review
patches, anyway :P. My thread on arch@ has been dead for a week!

--Devon