Time for newvers

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Sat Sep 6 21:41:42 PDT 2003

-On [20030906 23:42], David Rhodus (drhodus at xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>I'm not sure that's exactly the right approach to take. The FreeBSD
>ports tree is a very dynamic item, as there is a large number of people
>tracking the changes of the packages.

You can still checkout a ports tree of FreeBSD next to it if you'd like.

>Along with location changes of the packages on the internet is a very,
>very time consuming process. We will need to overlay the FreeBSD ports
>system with our own, at least until interest grows. Without doing that
>the tree will become quickly stale.

I can understand that concern too though.

>With a few hours one could develop a simple set of shell scripts to
>harvest this information from the Makefile and distinfo files.  Hence
>plugging the file location and any other BSD specifics from the files
>dir that will be need to build the package into our ports/packaging
>system.

I hope it's a simple as it is.  There's also a reason to start working
on our own ports/applications, since the gnats process in FreeBSD can
take quite a long time before changes get put through, even with
attached patches.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B