style(9) manpage __P removal

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Sep 22 18:17:51 PDT 2003

:Speaking of style how do people feel about K&R declarations?
:I'm wondering if I'm the only one that thinks that retaining
:them is silly.
:
:				-Kip

    I have been replacing them with their ANSI equivalents as I have come
    across them.

    Note to people who might be doing this cleanup work:  The only thing to
    watch out for when replacing a K&R declaration with an ANSI one is
    that the arguments may be declared out of order.  e.g.:

    int
    fubar(a, b, c, d)
    int c;		<<<<< note that this ordering might be different
    int b;		<<<<< from the ordering in the argument list above.
    int a;
    int d;
    {
    }

    int
    fubar(int a, int b, int c, int d)	<<< correct conversion to ANSI

    Extra long ANSI declarations can be handled in a number of ways, I am not
    particular other then to request that additional lines be indented.  I've
    kinda moved to this format:

    int
    fubar(int a, int b, int c, int d, int e, int f, int g, int h, int i,
	    int j, int k, int l, int m)
    {
    }

    But its up to you.  I have no strong opinion either way (other then
    additional lines being indented somehow).