Time for newvers

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Sat Sep 6 14:38:41 PDT 2003

On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 02:43 PM, Richard Coleman wrote:

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    We can't do this quite yet, there are too many dependancies on the
    name being FreeBSD.
    Maybe it is time to dup the ports tree from FreeBSD into our own
CVS,
    but I'd rather not think about it until the base source tree is
'fixed'
    to deal with the name change.
Once they lock down the FreeBSD ports tree for 4.9, that may be a good
time to import into DragonFly.  Either that or wait for a similar lock
down for 5.2.
I'm not sure that's exactly the right approach to take. The FreeBSD
ports tree is a
very dynamic item, as there is a large number of people tracking the
changes of
the packages. Along with location changes of the packages on the
internet is a
very, very time consuming process. We will need to overlay the FreeBSD
ports
system with our own, at least until interest grows. Without doing that
the tree
will become quickly stale. With a few hours one could develop a simple
set
of shell scripts to harvest this information from the Makefile and
distinfo files.
Hence plugging the file location and any other BSD specifics from the
files dir
that will be need to build the package into our ports/packaging system.

-DR