emulation/43bsd patch

qhwt at myrealbox.com qhwt at myrealbox.com
Wed Sep 10 20:19:17 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:45:46PM +0000, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
> In article <slrnbltq6n.q9f.daver at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
> > In article <20030910082018.GA27649 at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, qhwt at xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> include/protocols/talkd.h still uses osockaddr and it bombs out
> >> building libexec/talkd during buildworld.
> >
> > I'll post a new revision that fixes world issues tomorrow.
>
> I've put some thought into this.  The only place in the source tree
> outside of src/sys that touches osockaddr is include/protocols/talkd.h.
> I can see no compelling reason for a userland app to be compiled with
> any of these compatibility structures.
>
> If we wanted to, we could have installincludes install the 4.3BSD compat
> headers so that userland aps can be built from them.  The other option
> is to define osockaddr in talkd.h and keep the 4.3BSD compat headers
> private to the kernel.
>
> The quick hack to talkd.h makes me cringe a bit less than exporting the
> headers.

Google told me that some other platforms define osockaddr or omsghdr
only if _SOCKADDR_LEN is defined prior to inclusion of socket.h .

IMHO, breaking compilation of (userland) applications that depend on
4.3BSD headers will not prevent users from running already compiled
versions of such applications on a system not supporting COMPAT_43 things,
so these struct's had better stay (conditionally) defined.
Just a bikeshed, though.