GCC 3.3.2 kernel

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Wed Oct 29 04:52:50 PST 2003

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 11:32 PM, Craig Dooley wrote:

Heres a patch that gets the kernel closer to being built with gcc
3.3.2 from
ports.  The kernel compiles and runs with gcc 2.95 also as of now, but
there
are changes to drivers I cannot test (if_ray and if_wx that i can
think of)
but I think all the changes deal with either string tokenization or
multiline
strings, so I dont think there should be any problems.  The kernel
still
cannot be built with gcc 3.3.2 though.  When using buildkernel, it
gets to
linking kernel.debug and dies with MANY undefined references to puts
and
putchar.  When using config; make depend; make it dies in make depend.
 The
first pass in aic7xxx/aicasm goes fine, but the second pass dies with
missing
headers and sure enough the headers it wants are not in
compile/TRAGEDY/usr/
src/sys/...  I'm looking into those.

Thanks Craig. I'm wondering are most of these changes in FreeBSD ? I'm
asking from the perspective to see if they have already done most of
the initial testing for us. Though this is something well definitely
need to
get working as preparation for the amd64 port. Last time I check our
user
land build was dyeing in openssl, which is a vendor branch we need to
do a import of to get the fresh bits. Though I wonder if it was
crapping out
because of some deceleration from our include files.

-DR