GCC 3.3.2 kernel

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Wed Oct 29 05:39:20 PST 2003

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 08:04 AM, Craig Dooley wrote:

Some of the stuff has been taken from FreeBSD.  Im currently trying to
work my
way through makefiles to find out why things would be different on gcc
2.95
and gcc 3.3.2.
What happened there is, gcc started abiding by some C coding standards
and not
just compiling any piece of junk someone gave it. It's funny how many
people have
said something like "GCC is breaking my code now". When in fact their
code is
breaking ISO coding standards and they'll need to formalize some
justification to
the ISO committee if they want to continue coding in that manner. Or at
the very
least start work on an internal compiler suite so they can use broken
code.
 Could we take binutils and gcc from their tree instead of a
GNU import when the time comes?  I dont know if they have changed the
abi at
all, but if it's already worked out from them, it's probably a much
better
place to start.
I don't think that will really be necessary. Most people over estimate
the amount of
work required for an upgrade of these. It can most likely be done in a
day. Though
I was really hoping that gcc 3.4 would be out before we did an new
import of the
compiler. But I don't think were going to be able to hold off that long
as the amd64
port will has to have a newer gcc.
  I was working on buildworld too, and I know amd has a couple
bugs.  I've been thinking of a new package manager and would like to
get a
working version of that in perl with static programs in /usr/lib/dfpkg
just
as a test platform, but moving the base system to build packages
instead of
installworld would be a nice test.
Sounds good. We've been needing someone to throw some man hours at
formalizing some code for a package manager system.
-DR