packaging system (was: Re: GCC 3.3.2 kernel)

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Thu Oct 30 18:19:35 PST 2003

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 08:56 AM, Simon 'corecode' Schubert
wrote:
okay, could we please first discuss requirements and taboos and then
the tools used before some people invest lots of time in something
which
may not be accepted by the developers?

no offence, just 2¢

I'd love to see someone bust some code out for this issue. You can look
at
mailing list archives and read about all the "taboos" for years.
Perhaps redirecting
talk about how different implementations are performing on DragonFly
would
be nice. Unlike how this thread is turning out.

A DragonFly packaging system is discussed in the goals section of the
web-site.
This involves utilization of VFS layering in a VFS environment that is
currently being
worked on. Though we are still some time away from having VFS
environments I do
not think this should prohibit anyone for starting work on a new
package system.
If you look at the original design of the FreeBSD port's system which
we currently
utilize(and is currently better than anything on Linux) was a small
local hack of Jordan
that has grown way out of control. The original idea was a small quick
directory
so as to install software packages for developers. The concept of
"portsupgrade" was
just another hack on top of the original one. So trying to start with
something totally
fresh and not looking at all the other flawed implementations would be
best ?

-DR