DragonFly bootsplash bmp

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Mon Oct 13 02:10:36 PDT 2003

Hiten Pandya wrote:

> Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :
> :     I'd like to commit that bootsplash bmp, but I've looked around the
> source
> :     base and I'm not sure where the best place to commit it is.  Anyone
> :     have any ideas?
> :
> : -Matt
>
> Maybe in a /usr/share/examples/splash ?

I could live with that location. Also, could the bootsplash kernel modules
be hacked in such a way that they can read gzip-compressed bitmaps? When
you compare sizes between compressed and uncompressed it really shaves off
a lot:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  481078 Sep 30 17:02 dfly.bmp
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  13715 Sep 30 17:02 dfly.bmp.gz

Having to cvsup 400+ kb of excess data that could be saved by compression is
not something I'd look forward to if I'd was on the other end of a modem
line :)

Cheers,
Emiel