ACPI from FreeBSD-STABLE

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Sat Aug 30 07:53:04 PDT 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:04:47 -0500, Robert Garrett wrote:

> If you will go to the trouble to produce a set of patches to do this, I
> will take the trouble to test and commit it, of course this is provided
> matt aproves..

	Rob, I am not being picky about this, but my suggestion is
	that we wait till the FreeBSD-STABLE ACPI is a bit more ironed
	out. There have been reports of odd panics due to the import of
	ACPI into FreeBSD-STABLE.

	Things like ACPI should be given extensive testing, and then
	added to the tree.

	On the good part, I would propose that we create a section on
	the website, which shows the current "Feature Patchsets" that
	are available for DragonFly, for e.g. like ACPI.

	Atleast this way, if someone else has any interesting
	functionality, it can be easily published, and once it receives
	enough usage and testing by the community, it can be committed.

	Another issue is that we will need someone to constantly
	backport the various ACPI fixes and stuff to DragonFly, and I
	think it's too early in the life of DragonFly.

	The above strategy will help us a quite a lot in the long
	run, IMO.

	Although, if Matt has a different opinion on this, then his
	opinon will take precendence, ofcourse. :-)

--
Hiten Pandya
hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx