No subject

Sat Jul 7 18:37:43 PDT 2018

I see isn't documented. From the documentation, I would have expected
the Wine code to work - it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I think the FreeBSD kernel code needs to change. If this is to happen,
it will only be in the FreeBSD5 tree. It is too late in the FreeBSD4
branch to make that sort of change since it's not really a bug fix.

To get Wine to work on FreeBSD4, there needs to be a way of making the
reservation code optional. A simple mmap test in configure which
snaffles memory above 0x80000000 and then tries to mmap some more memory
without specifying a fixed address would detect if mmap is behaving in a
way that would allow the Wine reservation code to function.

For FreeBSD5, which will become the stable branch sometime soon, I think
the kernel code needs to change. I have a FreeBSD src commit bit, but
I'm not a vm person, so I can only prototype a change and submit it for
review. I'm not sure if the other developers will regard this change
favourably, though. They may take the attitude that if Wine can be made
to work with the FreeBSD kernel code as is, then Wine should be coded
accordingly.

If the Wine code was restructured to make the reservation code optional,
that would cover both FreeBSD4 and FreeBSD5. Then, if the FreeBSD mmap
algorithm was to change in the future, the build could start using the
reservation code at that time.

Alexandre didn't want that fix for FreeBSD4, Well, there's a reason for
that reservation code, and it's that some Windows apps require it; so
unless you find some other way to ensure that FreeBSD never allocates
anything above 0x80000000, the reservation code can't really be made
optional.

So... that was the status last month and no one has mailed the list to
report any updates since then. If you're on FreeBSD 4.9, things will
break if you upgrade to 4.10. If you're on 5.2 things are broken.