firmware discussion

Imre Vadász imrevdsz at gmail.com
Fri May 26 00:33:16 PDT 2017

Since we don't have all the WPA authentication stuff built into the kernel
(we utilize wpa_supplicant in userland), there isn't any reasonable usecase
for booting with a network filesystem as root over wlan.
But actually network boot over wlan without an initrd might even be
impossible since we probably can't create the wlan0 interface during kernel
boot at the moment.
NFS root over wlan is only supposed to work with a custom initrd.

All current wlan drivers except iwm, will only request their firmware when
enabling the interface, so they should be fine waiting for userland to
deliver the firmware during a regular boot.

Thanks,
Imre