Moving firmware to userland

Jan Sucan sucanjan at fit.cvut.cz
Wed Jul 19 01:27:24 PDT 2017

That's good and interesting idea. Attaching the config to the image
could unify the way in which config info is saved for both built-in
and non-built-in images, and also unify a code for parsing the config
info in the kernel firmware subsystem. Possibilities for firmware file
formats:

- uuencoded
   Pros: Config can be added, modified and removed by a text editor
   Cons: .uu files are about 35% larger, need to implement uudecoding in
         the kernel, config correctness checked at firmware loading time

- binary
   Pros: firmware data size, user-interface of the new tool can be
         better suited for given purpose than a text editor (which is too
         general), config correctness checked at config modifying time
   Cons: need to create new tool for handling attached info (something
         like kenv(1) for firmware)

For binary firmware it will be necessary to also add some checksum
data in case when config is not attached and firmware data is also
valid config. Checksum could be computed only from firmware data or it
can cover the config data too.

I think, that the second file format would be better. I can try to
propose a format for the attached config and post it here for a
review.