Hello from a noob who wishes to contribute.

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue Sep 6 19:58:53 PDT 2016

The thing I tell people most often, for this sort of question, is:
work on a project that you find personally useful.  A driver for
hardware you have, a particular tool you already use, etc.  Otherwise,
it's likely you will give up when frustrated because you don't see any
benefit from the work.

More specifically, the 'development' man page may be useful.

https://www.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=development&section=ANY