No subject

Thu May 5 13:23:34 PDT 2016

know WINE cannot run well on FreeBSD 4/5 due to VM issue.
So what about DragonFly?

http://www.winehq.org/?issue=230#Wine%20on%20FreeBSD
06/09/2004 	Wine on FreeBSD 	Archive
Ports
Remember last week how I alluded to a problem with Wine and FreeBSD?
That thread began about a month ago and it started when John Birrell
wondered how well Wine worked on FreeBSD-CURRENT (5.2.1) compared to
-STABLE (4.10). Jonathan Fosburgh described the current (pun intended)
situation, There is a threading problem right now (search the bug
reports) on -CURRENT when using libpthread. Using libc_r is sort of
working, at least as of a few weeks ago. I saw some discussion on one of
the FreeBSD mailing lists discussing a different way of linking against
a thread library that might make things work better. Basically, it
involves not using -lpthread during the link stage but instead compiling
against -pthread. Check through the freebsd-current and freebsd-ports
mailing list archives, I believe the discussion was in one of those.

Gerald Pfeifer, the FreeBSD packager, then brought up the fact that
-STABLE doesn't work either:

Right now, Wine doesn't work at all on FreeBSD -STABLE:

      wine: failed to initialize: /swtest/wine/dlls/ntdll.dll.so: mmap
of entire address space failed: Cannot allocate memory

and before that I used to see deadlocks upon startup of non-trivial
applications (such as Forte Agent, both 16bit and 32bit flavors).

I believe there are also significant threading issues on -CURRENT, so
overall Wine is hardly, if at all, usable on any version of FreeBSD I
have access to, even though I'm still working to keep it at least
compilable on FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.2/5.3.

John then looked into the problem and reported what he found: