Old drm1 drivers now completely useless

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sun Oct 19 23:34:27 PDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:55:11PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 09:36:26PM +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> >
> > Since Mesa 8.0+ has dropped support for drm1 drivers, these drivers
> > are now completely useless.
>
> > They were only used to provide 3D OpenGL acceleration.
>
> (I assume this means that removing them will not affect the X11 drivers.)

It won't, the xf86-video drivers for the affected chipsets don't
require kernel components.

> During the discussion about removing DRM1 support from Mesa, it was
> asserted that the Mesa 7.11 DRM1 drivers could be combined with "future"
> Mesa releases to provide OpenGL acceleration.

I didn't see any serious proposal to that effect in the mesa-dev
archives.

> But I have not heard of anyone who has tested that on Linux or BSD;
> I don't have the hardware to test any of these.

The mesa discussion took place in August 2011; nobody really objected
to the proposal to drop support for these old graphic cards.
If people were still seriously using them at the time, they sure kept
silent.

--
Francois Tigeot