[GSOC] HAMMER2 compression feature week11 report

Daniel Flores daniel5555 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 15:23:00 PDT 2013

Hello,

LZ4, generally, can compress text files, but in our case it doesn't give us
enough compression ratio to produce a compressed block. The maximum size of
a compressed block is 32KB while the size of uncompressed block is,
typically, 64KB, so a compression algorithm must be able to reduce the size
of input data by, at least, 50%. I think, LZ4 can reduce the size of a text
file by 40%, but, sadly, that's not enough in our case.

Daniel