3.6 branch and release

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sat Nov 9 00:19:55 PST 2013

On 11/9/2013 03:32, Dongsheng Song wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Justin Sherrill
> <justin at shiningsilence.com <mailto:justin at shiningsilence.com>> wrote:
>
>     pkg is in the base system, and

Well, this is not actually true.
1) If one builds from source from /usr/dports, pkg is built first

2) If one doesn't have /usr/dports, then then can retrieve pkg from the
"make pkg-bootstrap" command, and a working version of package will be
downloaded so then pre-build binary packages can be retrieve.  But
first, it will update itself to the latest package (hence, a bootstrap
in the truest sense of the word)

>     ​​
>     'make dports-create' in /usr will add the files.  That's pretty
>     automatic.
>
>     http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/
>

> ​This an egg and chicken​ problem.
>
> 'make dports-create' rely on git, but install rely on pkg.
> Should git be in base ?

It is true that dports-create relies on git, but we've broken the cycle.
 There is a "dports-download" option that downloads the latest version
of the repository.  In the case above, you would use "make
dports-download", build git from source, "rm -rf /usr/dports" then use
"make dports-create" if you want to convert /usr/dports to git repository.

John