DragonFly 3.4 release planning

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 12:26:05 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com>
wrote:
>     I'll add one more thing re: use of /boot.  We could also clean up
>     the crypto bootstrapping to just use the /boot/rescue root instead of
>     bootstrap image.  That is, an unencrypted /boot (doesn't need to be
>     encrypted anyway) and an encrypted normal root could be driven
entirely
>     from the /boot/rescue environment.
>
>     (If I understand the current crypto bootstrapping correctly).

If one takes that route, then /boot/rescue isn't (solely) about rescuing
things anymore, so perhaps consider calling it something else (possibly
revive the 4.4BSD /stand convention?).  Or, just do away with the
subdirectory entirely and have these things in /boot/bin and /boot/sbin;
that seems simpler and more straight forward.

It strikes me that if one is booting into single user mode, one is most
often doing that to repair something; if that is true, then I would imagine
that chroot'ing into a /boot/rescue environment isn't all that useful.
 Either mount /boot on root and have /boot/bin, /boot/sbin show up as /bin
and /sbin, or mount it over a pseudo-root as /boot and set $PATH for the
single user shell to refer to the right locations.

You had said before that you didn't care for the idea of a /rescue (if I
understood you correctly), and I asked why; I'm still very curious about
that?

        - Dan C.