[GSOC] Introduction to HAMMER2 compression feature

Daniel Flores daniel5555 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 13:15:00 PDT 2013

Thank you for feedback!

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:

> You might want to consider LZ4 [1].  It was just recently added to ZFS
> [2].  It's multi-threaded-aware, extremely fast for both compression and
> decompression, and gives very good compression ratios.  It also includes a
> short-circuit design to prevent wasting time trying to compress already
> compressed blocks or highly incompressible blocks.  It's also OSS and
> several reference implementations are available in various languages.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/lz4/
> [2] http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/LZ4+Compression

Thank you! This looks really awesome. I’ll definitely include it in a list
of candidate algorithms.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Alokat MacMoneysack <mailing at alokat.org>wrote:

> Im looking forward to use this feature.
> What about a compression like gzip e.g. for log file compression or LZJB?

I think this goes beyond the scope of my proposal, but it’s an interesting
idea. Maybe someone else can look into this or I may consider this after I
finish my initial proposal.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Alokat MacMoneysack <mailing at alokat.org>wrote:

> Will you make it possible to let the user choose the compression algorithm
> or do you just looking for the "best" one?

Well, my initial proposal is only about implementing one algorithm, but if
the project goes smoothly and there will be some time left, I’ll definitely
try to add more than one algorithm and let the user choose it.

Daniel