[GSoC] Making vkernels checkpointable - week 7

Pawel Dziepak pdziepak at quarnos.org
Mon Aug 5 05:56:13 PDT 2013

Hello,

As you have seen, for few weeks apart from working on my main goal -
making vkernels checkpointable - I was also trying to make checkpoint
file format more flexible so that any future changes won't necessarily
mean breaking compatibility. I've moved all additional data (i.e. data
ignored by gdb or binutils and used only by kernel's checkpointing
code) to ELF notes, both extending the already existing structures
(prpsinfo and prstatus) and creating new note types (for open files,
some mappings and TLS).

This week I also completed support for VM_MAPTYPE_VPAGETABLE mappings.
They are now properly saved and restored including setting master_pde.
Since now, vkernels restored from a checkpoint are able to restore
network and console configuration without need of any additional hack
(like the one I was using for testing purposed, mentioned in my week 2
report).

Paweł