[GSOC] HAMMER2 compression feature week7 report

Samuel J. Greear sjg at evilcode.net
Sun Aug 4 13:10:37 PDT 2013

Nice work!

Regarding the performance chart and testing so far, it's nice to know that
the cpu overhead is well-bounded and these small tests likely worked well
for simply making sure everything worked, but I wouldn't spend much/any
time on this type of testing going forward, since these microbenchmarks
only show cached performance -- the compressed numbers will basically
always look like a net loss here (albeit it looks like a small one, which
is good) -- the real numbers of interest are going to be performance of
uncached benchmarks / benchmarks that cause a lot of real disk i/o. As you
make it stable I would move onto things like fsstress, blogbench, bonnie,
etc.

If the code is stable enough I would be interested to hear what the
performance delta is between a pair of dd if=/dev/zero bs=64k count=5000 or
similar (as long as its much bigger than RAM) with zero-compression on vs
off. In theory it should look similar to the delta between cached io and
uncached io.

Sam