DragonFly 3.4 release planning

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed Apr 3 08:22:29 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 07:40:37AM -0500, Chris Turner wrote:
> On 04/02/13 02:29, Francois Tigeot wrote:
>
> > I have a fully useable dynamic root branch visible here:
> > http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~ftigeot/dragonfly.git/shortlog/refs/heads/dynamic_root
>
> Just to be clear - this is an example of a pure-dynamic base, which could be used
> in whatever solution is chosen, or for people needing dynamic currently, etc, etc
> correct?
>
> I scanned the commits and didn't see any 'dynamic+static' stuff, only dynamic,
> but I could have missed something :D

Yes, it's purely dynamic.

I've toyed a bit with the idea of mounting dynamic versions of /bin and /sbin
on top of the static ones when going multiuser, but couldn't get both dynamic
and static versions of the same directories to be created reliably.

Besides, this whole static binaries in / at all cost business seems to be
based on groundless fears.
Other Unix-like operating systems have been using dynamic libraries for their
root filesystems for many years and I have yet to encounter a case where
this caused real issues and rescue binaries saved the day.

--
Francois Tigeot