Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.com
Fri Apr 26 04:25:51 PDT 2013

On 04/25/13 22:16, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>      There's still one serious issue which is that Intel's initial
>      foray into mobile is 32-bit.  We can't really EOL 32-bit as long
>      as Intel and/or AMD are still producing 32-bit-only chips.

By mobile do you mean tablet?

>      (Though even in the mobile space I expect things will move rapidly
>      to 64-bit due to competition from ARM).

There is also still the 'embedded servers' e.g. soekris where DF
is quite applicable as an OS

(though latest soekris boxes are 64bit capable)

The other point about keeping the codebase portable is a good one IMHO,
but this obviously depends on available dev time & resources.

Anyone want to step up and tie x86 retirement to a shiny new ARM port?

:D

Cheers,

- Chris