Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Apr 25 23:21:06 PDT 2013

On 4/26/2013 01:38, Stephen Welker wrote:
> I would like to see DragonflyBSD 4.0 to be the beginning of x86_64
> only releases. With the above mentioned restructure (or optimisation)
> of the kernel, many ABIs&  APIs will change and 4.0 provides a
> milestone for that. It could also mean that Hammer2 could be a
> headline feature of 4.0 - hopefully simplifying development. People
> will also be aware that releases prior to 4.0 DragonflyBSD will
> support both x86_64&  i386. Future releases of 3.x may add new
> features, but more importantly, provide some legacy users bug fixes
> and security updates.

I see this suggestion as a minor variation to "Option 1".  You'd pick a
release as the last to support i386, and the next would be numbered 4.0.
  Theoretically the next branch after DragonFly 3.5 could be 4.0, and
DragonFly 3.4 would still be the last supported one.

I agree that a 4.0 number seems intuitive, but then again, if we added
an ARM platform 6 months later, do we have to call it DragonFly 5.0?
Tying release major numbers to platforms support seems strange when you
look at it like that.

Thanks,
John