snd_hda

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.com
Wed Oct 10 05:52:05 PDT 2012

On 10/10/12 01:13, kyuupichan wrote:
> I did a buildworld and buildkernel a couple of days ago:
>
> DragonFly v3.3.0-DEVELOPMENT #0: Tue Oct  9 18:28:07 JST 2012
>      root at athlon2.akihabara.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC
>
> The main thing I've noticed so far is that sound now has a lot of static / fuzz when playing music with audacious; the prior kernel

Looks like 2x pcm's are connecting:

pcm0: <HDA Codec: Unknown Codec>
pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20071129_0050>
pcm1: <HDA Codec: Realtek ALC885>
pcm1: <HDA Driver Revision: 20071129_0050>

Was this happening on old kernel? The problem still shouldn't happen but might help explain
difference e.g. if new hw is now supported but wasn't before & driver is getting confused
Also if not desired, you might try switching these off where possible to see if that helps

Also - have you tried other players? What about running audacity with 'rtprio?' or a higher nice value?

Sometimes playback issues can be software or load related.

> Also once sound didn't initialize properly on reboot; I needed to unload and reload snd_hda and sound modules.

Sometimes the DAC's get in a wierd state & need some extra punches -
I typically have been doing cold reboots (full power off) if I lose sound during a run.

Also - this should go to bugs@

Cheers,

- Chris