virtio drivers!

Venkatesh Srinivas me at endeavour.zapto.org
Fri May 4 21:45:35 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

Tim Bisson ported FreeBSD's virtio drivers (from the bhyve project) to
DragonFly; I am currently working on reviewing and integrating them.
The virtio drivers should provide increased performance of DFly guests
in kvm, specifically block devices (virtio-blk) and network interfaces
(if_vtnet).

My work is available at git://github.com/vsrinivas/DragonFlyBSD.git,
in the 'virtual' branch, for anyone who wants to try it or contribute!
I am also tracking questions and thoughts in our bug tracker, bug 2360
(http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/2360). Any code review would be
helpful!

My 'virtual' tree also has some other related work, specifically
'vm_balloon'. Basically, vm-balloon is a VM level framework for
managing balloon devices; rather than having a balloon device respond
directly to host requests for pages without any consideration of guest
loads, we have talked about having the guest VM consider its own load
when releasing pages to a host. The vm-balloon code will encompass
this; it will also be able to drive the virtio-balloon device and a
newly created vkernel-balllon device, which will bring the same
functionality to vkernels. Any reviews or comments on vm_balloon.c or
the vkernel/virtio-balloon devices and in particular the interface
between vm_balloon and the devices would be great!

Take care,
-- vs
http://ops101.org/4k/