Risk-value assessment of applying for SoC

Samuel J. Greear sjg at evilcode.net
Wed Mar 28 20:55:49 PDT 2012

--14dae93404bf160d4804bc59b33e

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Flava <hasselhaugh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi mailing list,
> Because I'm busy this time of year and I don't want to waste anyone else's
> time either, I want to list my credentials and humbly ask if I should even
> bother applying. I'm concerned about this question because my only formal
> training in OS internals is an OS class I'm taking right now over MINIX. So
> far this semester, we've written a command-interpreter, trap handler, and a
> file system. That's the only experience I have in this area. However, I'm a
> quick learner with very good abstract thinking skills, a solid grasp on C,
> and a strong desire to learn OS internals. I've also been a Linux user for
> about 4 years. This is definitely my first choice for Summer of Code but if
> the hammer's going to be dropped on me I would like it to happen as soon as
> possible. Thank you guys for your time!

For the majority of projects -- I doubt you would be proposing to port
DragonFly to ARM or something like that -- the kernel is no different than
any other very large and complex program, there really isn't anything
mythical, magical or scary about it just because it's a kernel. Based on
your stated experience, if you are motivated there is no reason you could
not do a successful GSoC project for DragonFly BSD.

That said, we do expect you to do enough due diligence / research on your
own to put together a well-informed and thorough proposal for whatever
project you might want to do (keep in mind the projects on the project page
are just ideas, you can diverge/alter or come up with your own, although
you should discuss your own ideas with us for feasibility). We are happy
(eager, even) to help you answer any _specific_ questions you might have as
part of this discovery process.

Best,
Sam

--14dae93404bf160d4804bc59b33e

=3D"ltr"><<a href=3D"mailto:hasselhaugh at gmail.com">hasselhaugh at gmail.com=
:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
't want to waste anyone else's time either, I want to list my crede=
ntials and humbly ask if I should even bother applying. I'm concerned a=
bout this question because my only formal training in OS internals is an OS=
 class I'm taking right now over MINIX. So far this semester, we've=
 written a command-interpreter, trap handler, and a file system. That's=
 the only experience I have in this area. However, I'm a quick learner =
with very good abstract thinking skills, a solid grasp on C, and a strong d=
esire to learn OS internals. I've also been a Linux user for about 4 ye=
ars. This is definitely my first choice for Summer of Code but if the hamme=
r's going to be dropped on me I would like it to happen as soon as poss=
ible. Thank you guys for your time!<br>

#39;s a kernel. Based on your stated experience, if you are motivated there=
 is no reason you could not do a successful GSoC project for DragonFly BSD.=
/ research on your own to put together a well-informed and thorough proposa=
l for whatever project you might want to do (keep in mind the projects on t=
he project page are just ideas, you can diverge/alter or come up with your =
own, although you should discuss your own ideas with us for=A0feasibility).=
 We are happy (eager, even) to help you answer any _specific_ questions you=
 might have as part of this discovery process.</div>

--14dae93404bf160d4804bc59b33e--