support of hardware nested page table for vkernels

Jitendra Singh jpsingh at cs.stonybrook.edu
Mon Mar 19 06:29:07 PDT 2012

--_000_4A13DF28DC24E94AB9B47727E5C93B2F28AFDEC3mail2csstonybro_

Hi,

We are a group of two Grad students from Stony Brook University, NY. We are=
 keenly interested and want to contribute in the project for supporting har=
dware nested page table for vkernels for mentioned in the GSoC 2012. In fac=
t, we would even love to add support for all hardware virtualization featur=
es provided by AMD-V architecture and Intel-VT architecture if it already h=
as not been supported.

As a matter of fact, we are already working towards providing software and =
hardware nested paging support for JOS (JOS is an Operating System develope=
d at MIT for academic purposes) and also towards providing support for emul=
ation of AMD-V virtualization features in GEM5 emulator.

Our past experience with Operating Systems and Virtualization includes desi=
gn and implementation of various features of JOS form scratch (like the boo=
tloader, Virtual Memory set-up, Multiprogramming and Interrupt Setup, IPC s=
etup, filesystem and network driver set up). We also design and implemented=
 a paravirtualized Virtual Machine Manager for JOS for one our course proje=
cts. Apart from this, we are working towards design and implementation of f=
irst ever device driver and filesystem for Shingled Magnetic Recording disk=
s in LINUX.

We strongly believe that our current work towards support of AMD-V emulatio=
n in GEM5 and support of nested paging for JOS will give us significant exp=
osure to gain considerable insights into the hardware Virtualization and he=
nce would help us in adding an efficient support for hardware Virtualizatio=
n features in DragonFly BSD.

We are looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Ankur Agrawal, Jitendra Pratap Singh
MS, Computer Science
Stony Brook University

--_000_4A13DF28DC24E94AB9B47727E5C93B2F28AFDEC3mail2csstonybro_

<head>
1">
</head>
10pt;"><span style=3D"font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb=
(255, 255, 255); ">Hi,</span>
5, 255); ">
5, 255); ">
We are a group of two Grad students from Stony Brook University, NY. We are=
 keenly interested and want to contribute in the project for supporting har=
dware nested page table for vkernels for mentioned in the GSoC 2012. In fac=
t, we would even love to add support
 for all hardware virtualization features provided by AMD-V architecture an=
d Intel-VT architecture if it already has not been supported. </div>
5, 255); ">
5, 255); ">
As a matter of fact, we are already working towards providing software and =
hardware nested paging support for JOS (JOS is an Operating System dev=
eloped at MIT for academic purposes) and also towards providing suppor=
t for emulation of AMD-V virtualization features
 in GEM5 emulator.</div>
5, 255); ">
5, 255); ">
Our past experience with Operating Systems and Virtualization includes desi=
gn and implementation of various features of JOS form scratch (like the boo=
tloader, Virtual Memory set-up, Multiprogramming and Interrupt Setup, IPC s=
etup, filesystem and network driver
 set up). We also design and implemented a paravirtualized Virtual Machine =
Manager for JOS for one our course projects. Apart from this, we are workin=
g towards design and implementation of first ever device driver and filesys=
tem for Shingled Magnetic Recording
 disks in LINUX.</div>
5, 255); ">
5, 255); ">
We strongly believe that our current work towards support of AMD-V emulatio=
n in GEM5 and support of nested paging for JOS will give us significan=
t exposure to gain considerable insights into the hardware V=
irtualization and hence would help us in adding an efficient
 support for hardware Virtualization features in DragonFly BSD.</div>
5, 255); ">
5, 255); ">
We are looking forward to hear from you.</div>
5, 255); ">
5, 255); ">
Thanks,</div>
ratap Singh
<link rel=3D"stylesheet" type=3D"text/css" href=3D"data:text/css,">

--_000_4A13DF28DC24E94AB9B47727E5C93B2F28AFDEC3mail2csstonybro_--