GSoC: Add SMT/HT awareness to DragonFlyBSD scheduler

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jun 29 09:05:40 PDT 2012

:I now used the tmpfs (I copied the sources on a tmpfs and compiled there)
:and the results are the same. It seems that all processes aren't so CPU
:intensive...they run for a very short period of time.
:
:Mihai

    There shouldn't be much of any I/O waiting even with a hard drive
    for compilations.  Apache (and other) builds are going to be limited
    by serialization within the Makefile and /bin/sh sequences which wind
    up doing a lot of fork/exec/wait's.

    A parallel kernel build without modules is about as close as you
    can get to saturating available cpus.  Something like:

    make -j 12 nativekernel NO_MODULES=TRUE

    Once it gets past the initial serialized elements of the build it
    will then get into the pure compilation phase with enough files to
    make for a good test.