DragonFly versioning plan

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sat Sep 10 22:13:24 PDT 2011

(Whoops, forgot to reply all.)

I have the pkgsrc and DragonFly release stuff both in there because
they affect each other.  I don't have a problem with 6 month release
cycles, but there's nothing supporting a need for it. - we've had a
number of releases where we delayed well past it.

Tracking what's stable at time of release is what I do now.  Which
works for the release versions, but perhaps not for non-release.  I've
always been worried about breakage with that.  I'd rather have two
DragonFly categories: One where the long term support where there's
always packages and any system updates are minor, to guarantee a
stable platform.  The other, where there's clear expectations the user
will update the system and pkgsrc on a semi-regular basis.  This is, I
think, sort of like Debian 'stable' and 'unstable', in a broad way.

The goal here is to have release strategy match the usage patterns
I've observed in general.