Release 2.12 - 3.0

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue Oct 18 20:11:57 PDT 2011

This is where I saw "I TOLD you so!" and quietly stare at everyone with a smug look, cause I had proposed yearly release cycles just last month.  Please don't smack me for it.Seriously, though:
If we continue to test master relentlessly - which several people are already doing - we should be able to identify any problems from the new code relatively quickly.I had already put together "release candidate" versions of 2.12, since almost all bugs tied to 2.12 were cleared.  In fact, I already have a complete pkgsrc-2011Q3 package build for i386/x86_64 done on 2.11, which will work for 2.12 or master.
Having a nifty new software version with potential bugs is not unique to our software project.  Let's do what other projects do: say "Here's the new version.  It's in beta.  It has a lot of new features, but may have new bugs.  Please test".  That way we're not releasing with a known nasty bug, but we're not shutting off access to an already wildly improved next release.