Who's looking after net80211 in dfbsd these days?

Adrian Chadd adrian at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 27 06:50:35 PST 2011

On 27 November 2011 22:36, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> For sure there is interest.  Frequently DragonFly syncs against FreeBSD
> (another other BSDs) as the similar components slowly become dated. Sephe is
> just saying there's no one dedicated person that does this. Normally it's
> either an itch to scratch or somebody notices that the component is just
> really old and its time for an update.  I would think that would occur often
> enough with wi-fi components.
>
> I, for one, appreciate the information that FreeBSD's work is progressing
> and we should considering doing a sync up.

Well I don't have the time to try and work on more than one project,
but I'd like to see some more (re) unification between net80211 stacks
and the ath/hal driver code.

So if someone has some time to see what the differences are in
net80211 (by itself, just to begin with) between FreeBSD and
dragonflybsd, we can see about how to integrate them and add whatever
portability bits we need.

I'm happy to add whatever bits to FreeBSD's net80211 stack are needed
to minimise long-term maintenance.

We can move onto other driver code once that's done. The ath driver
code is still in heavy flux whilst I work on more of the 11n bits, so
hold off until I've done that. :)

(I'm going to try and do the same with NetBSD too, once I find someone
there to talk to.)

Thanks!

Adrian