GSoC '11 [Samba VFS Plugin] -Mentor Needed

Samuel J. Greear sjg at evilcode.net
Sat Mar 26 00:45:23 PDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Sitesh Shrivastava
<siteshshrivastava at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone!
> I am a Junior Undergraduate at BIT Mesra, one of the premier institutes in
> the field of Engineering and Sciences in India, pursuing Computer Science &
> Engineering.
>
> I am looking forward for a challenging project as a part of GSOC '11 under
> DragonFlyBSD during summers. I am interested in the idea mentioned on the
> GSoC page "Create a Samba VFS plugin to expose Hammer history".
>
> I am looking forward towards DragonFlyBSD Community so that I can find
> someone who is willing to mentor this project. I would like to discuss more
> about the details of the above project so that I can contribute to the
> Developer as well as OSS Community. I would like to mention that I have
> strong foundations in algorithm intensive programming and have advanced
> foundations in C/C++ too. Also, I am well versed in working of Linux
> (various flavours) based OS. I am fully aware of the responsibilities and
> requirements for this position. To consolidate my knowledge in the fields of
> interest, I have acquired conceptual knowledge in the fields of algorithms
> and linux & have done basic projects in these fields too.
>
> As a regular linux user, I am really interested in contributing to the
> developement and enhancement of the same.
>
> If any further information is required, I would be glad to furnish the same.
>

> Regards,
> Sitesh Shrivastava
> Junior Undergraduate, BIT Mesra
> Phone: +91-9470521313
> E-Mail: siteshshrivastava at gmail.com
> Home-Page: https://sites.google.com/site/siteshshrivastava

Sitesh,

Thanks for your interest.

Several of us have been tossing this project back and forth and it is
already partially working. As it stands now the project is no longer
large enough to justify a complete GSoC project. That is, unless you
can think of some additional ideas on top of this to expose HAMMER
functionality through Samba, or can present a case for finishing the
Samba module and adding support for HAMMER history to some other
applications as well.

Best,
Sam