***UNCHECKED*** Re: about virtio driver porting from FreeBSD

Stéphanie Ouillon stephanie at minet.net
Sun Mar 13 15:55:21 PDT 2011

    Hello,

    I run 10 days ago the code you sent to me in your mail, but I had to
    read more about virtio driver to be able to understand a bit more
    the architecture of the code.

    Well, I used a DragonFly 2.9-development on Virtualbox (not the
    latest version of VBox because there is a reported bug for DragonFly
    BSD machines, so I use the 3.12) and I used a PCnet-PCI II emulated
    network card (NAT mode).

    I build the code to load the modules and I did what you mentionned :

    #kldload -v ./virtio.ko
      virtio_probe 51966virtio_probe 9237virtio_probe 28947Loaded
      ./virtio.ko, id=5

      #kldload -v ./virtio_net.ko
      Loaded ./virtio-net.ko, id=6

      #dmesg
      virtio_probe 51966virtio_probe 9237virtio_probe 28947

    I checked the numbers, they match the following devices :
    51966 : Virtual Guest Service
    9237 : "0x8086","0x2415","Intel Corporation","Intel 82801DBM SM/BUS
    Controller 24C3","Aureal (AD1881 SOUNDMAX) Placa Mãe Asaki P3-141"
    28947: "0x8086","0x7113","Intel
    Corporation","82371AB/EB/MB","PIIX4/4E/4M Power Management
    Controller"

    However, I see no message from the virtio_attach() fonction nor
    virtio_net_probe() or virtio_net_attach() and I don't understand why
    ( if it is normal, or not ? ).
    I tried to launch Virtualbox with virtio-net for the network
    configuration to see what would happen, if I could go further and
    have more information but I had an error message at the very
    beginning :

    Configuration error:
      Failed to get the "MAC" value (VERR_CFGM_VALUE_NOT_FOUND).
      Unknown error creating VM (VERR_CFGM_VALUE_NOT_FOUND).

    So the vm couldn't be launched, even when configured with no network
    connection.

    Stéphanie Ouillon