Reducing the time for buildworld

Antonio Huete Jimenez ahuete.devel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 13:14:50 PST 2011

Hi Shivanth,

What are the hardware specs for the host VirtualBox is running on?
Does your processor have virtualization capabilities? If not that's
the first reason the build is taking so much time.

I've successfully done a buildworld in a VM with 256MB RAM running
i386 UP in approximately 2 hours. The processor is a Core2Duo T5500.
The virtualization solution is VMWare Workstation 7.

All the files for the buildworld/buildkernel can normally be found
under /usr/obj.

By the way, have you checked build(7) manpage?

Cheers,
Antonio Huete