swap or memory leak on recent master?

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:10:39 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM, YONETANI Tomokazu <y0n3t4n1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 08:45:29AM +0100, Alex Hornung wrote:
>> vmstat -m output might be helpful in seeing what M_foo has an
>> unproportionally big amount of memory.
>
> The swap Inuse stays at 3% after running pbulk for several hours
> (even though all pbulk processes are terminated).
> The top 5 entries in descending order of MemUse are as follow
> (the full vmstat -m output are attached):

I have seen the same strange swap space usage on the system with file
system activity.

What's different from the pbulk is that there are fixed number (total
7) of processes which create/delete files (~500K each) at low rate
(total 14 files/second).  The pocesses themselves do not exit (the
SIZE and PRES from top(1) doesn't show any memory leakage of these
processes).

In the last 15hours the swap usage increased from 2Mbytes to 92Mbytes

The memory usage showed by top(1):
Memory: 853M Active, 507M Inact, 451M Wired, 52M Cache, 173M Buf, 62M Free

I think there are still enough usable memory (Inact + Free)

The system has 2Gbytes memory w/ 4Gbytes swap running x86_64
(v2.11.0.511.g1bd13-DEVELOPMENT)

The output of vmstat -s, pstat -s and mount:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/vmstat_m.txt
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/pstat_s.txt
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/mount.txt

Compare to the other boxes which does not have disk activity at all;
swap space does not seem to increase.

Best Regards,
sephe

--