gsoc 2011 : about virtio drivers

Stéphanie Ouillon stephanie at minet.net
Thu Feb 24 02:11:10 PST 2011

Hello Aggelos,

thank you for your answer and the details. I had also notices the two
other projects you mention, so I'll keep on reading and I will surely
ask some questions about it soon :) But I keep an eye on the virtio
project too. I'm willing to learn as much as possible, so each project
seems interesting!

I'm inexperienced in the domain of device drivers but I'm willing to
learn as much as possible and I am interested in some of the projects
you describe in your gsoc project list, in particular virtio drivers
implementation. I have begun to get some information about it. Can
you point me some links or some documentation to read about it (apart
from the ones indicated in the project list) ?
Unfortunately that's the only documentation I'm aware of that is
specific to virtio. With regard to driver writing, I can recommend
http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/. While our APIs are completely different
to Linux's, the principles are similar for almost all monolithic OS
drivers. Especially the parts about synchronization and race
conditions are a must-read if you want to get into driver development.

Thank you for the information :)

Regards,

Stéphanie